#OTalk is a weekly Twitter chat, designed to enable discussion about occupational therapy and the broader academic discipline of occupational science. The first #OTalk happened on the 25th October 2011 (the week of World OT Day 2011), and it continues to run each Tuesday between 8-9pm UK time.
#OTalk is run by a team of volunteers, that have evolved over the years adding new ideas and developments this has enabled #OTalk to engage with the community. All that have or are involved are passionate about empowering occupational therapists to engage in CPD. Each individual has contributed a great deal to the development of #OTalk
The weekly #OTalk chats are suggested and facilitated by guest hosts and supported by the OTalk team. Any member of the community can suggest a topic and volunteer to host a chat.
Although informal, Twitter chats provide excellent continuing professional development opportunities, bringing people together who have diverse perspectives and experiences, without requiring you to travel or pay expensive course fees. Everyone is welcome to participate.
Over the years the OTalk has embraced new ideas, and ways this forum can support the community. The team also got on the road #OTalkOnTour running stands at local and national Occupational Therapy events and conferences. As well as giving presentations and workshops about using social media as a CDP tool.
The weekly chat topics are broad-ranging, and are generated by the community. Examples of previous discussions have included:
- #Occhat – 1st November 2011: What do we understand by occupational science? What does it mean for OT? Does it mean anything to others?
- #OTalk 18th September 2012- #DLA migration to #PIP
- #OTalk – 19 February 2013: Driving as an Occupation
- #OTalk 18th November 2014 – Occupational Alienation
- #OTalk 20th Jan 2015 – War and Occupation
- #Otalk 29th November 2016 -Role emerging Occupational Therapy.
- #OTalk 22nd August 2017 – Occupational Therapy and Digital Care Records
- #OTalk 25th September 2018 – Cultural Competence: Do we need to immerse ourselves in other cultures?
- #OTalk Tuesday 20th August 2019. Do Occupational Therapist routinely assess clients menstrual cycle, it’s affect on functioning and ability to manage? engagement in occupations?
- #OTalk 11th August 2020 – Adaptions to meaningful occupations during lockdown.
- #OTalk -Tuesday 12th October 2021-How do you use social media for learning?
If you have any questions or want to get involved feel free to contact any of the #OTalk team.