This weeks #OTalk is on the topic of “Goal Setting Tools for Children and Young People” and will be hosted by Emma Laird (@EmmalairdOT).
Here is what Emma had to say…
Occupational therapy offers a unique perspective known as an occupation-centred approach (Fisher, 2013) to promote engagement and participation within occupations which supports health and well-being. When identifying therapeutic goals for children and young people, this has previously been influenced by what the parents/family consider to be the main concerns and priorities (Pollock et al, 2014; Rodger and Kennedy-Behr, 2017). However, it is recognised that children need to be active in setting goals where possible to enhance engagement and participation in interventions to improve outcomes. For intervention to be client-centred, a collaborative goal setting approach involving the child and their family is essential to identifying what the priorities are whilst being meaningful and important to the child (Bamm and Rosenbaum, 2008).
There has been a professional shift towards occupation-centred practice (Rodger and Keen, 2010) and the need for tools to help facilitate children to self-report their goals. This has been area of practice whereby new tools have been published to help the therapist in empowering the child and family to identify occupation-based goals (Rodger and Kennedy-Behr, 2017) which is in line with government policies.
Within my practice, goal setting helps inform our clinical practice by delivering effective intervention that is client-centred and evidenced based (Costa, Brauchie and Kennedy-Behr, 2017). However, with the development of new self-reporting tools and professional changes whereby we focus on occupation this has made me ask questions and look at the evidence to support my clinical practice.
- What goal setting tools are being used across different specialist areas of paediatrics and why?
- How can we measure the impact of goal setting with children, young people and families?
- How can we use goal setting tools as an outcome measure?
- How can we support collaborative working within the goal setting process and improve functional outcomes?
- What are the gaps in research and how can this be addressed/
- What are the opportunities and challenges of introducing a new goal setting tool into the service
OTalk Support: @OT_rach
183 Avg Tweets/Hour
10 Avg Tweets/Participant