This weeks #Otalk is on the topic of “What are the considerations for occupational therapists in practice with regards to paid work for individuals with a learning disability?” and will be hosted by Erin Rolfe (@Erinnnnn14).
Here is what Erin had to say…
This is an area I have limited knowledge of at the moment but have chosen to explore as part of my training. I am looking forward to discussing this area and experiences with everyone and to gain a better understanding of the issues and considerations.
Questions to consider:
- Do you/have you worked in a learning disability service(s) and what were the priorities placed on gaining vocational skills/work placements?
- What do you feel are the differences in terms of paid and voluntary work aside from monetary gain?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of supporting an individual with learning disabilities to gain paid employment as opposed to voluntary employment?
- What are the considerations for the service/setting when accessing these opportunities?
- What skills as occupational therapists do we have to support individuals with a learning disability to gain paid employment?
- Should there be more emphasis on gaining paid employment for individuals with learning disabilities?
- What action could services take to gain support from workplaces to gain work for individuals?
- Do we feel that there needs to be more support from central government with regards to attaining work placements for individuals with learning disabilities first or should health and social care professionals be advocating for clients before changes will happen?
255 Avg Tweets/Hour
18 Avg Tweets/Participant