This week’s #OTalk is being hosted by Joanne McConnell (@JoMcEarlgrey). This chat is part of a series of chats supported by The OT Show (@TheOTShow) in the run up to this years show on 23rd & 24th November.
‘Clinical assessments for pressure relieving cushions’.
At this year’s Occupational Therapy Show, Posture & Mobility Group (PMG) and the National Wheelchair Managers’ Forum (NWMF) will be providing Posture & Wheelchair Essentials training sessions. The sessions aim at providing advice on posture and wheelchair assessments, including basic wheelchair assessments for therapists referring to wheelchair services and the wheelchair solutions available for clients. They will also look at special seating assessments, which can be applied to wheelchairs or static seating solutions, depending on the needs of the client.
Another session taking place as part of Posture & Wheelchair Essentials, is being presented by Joanne McConnell and will look at assessing clients for pressure relieving cushions. Joanne’s session will discuss the statistics of incidences of pressure ulcers and their main causes. It will also provide a revision of the classification of pressure ulcers, advice on how to minimise the risk and an up-to-date choice of different materials for pressure cushions, including the pros and cons of each option.
Prior to the The OT Show, Joanne will be hosting #OTalk on Tuesday 18th October to discuss pressure relieving cushion assessments, and will focus on the following questions:
- How can therapists be sure they offer good advice on the best type of pressure relieving cushion for their client?
- If a client has a pressure relieving cushion on their wheelchair, do they need a pressure relieving mattress on their bed too?
- If a client has purchased a cushion privately, but they feel it is not right for them, will the NHS offer them an assessment?
- Many clients with a history of higher graded pressure ulcers require an air cushion, but what can be offered if this is too unstable?
- How often should a client get their pressure relieving cushion reviewed and who is qualified to do this review and offer advice?”
19 Avg Tweets/Hour
13 Avg Tweets/Participant